We are so excited that the competitive season is upon us! CWSA wake surfing events are now schedule every month between now and October! It will be a great year for the sport of wake surfing!
After a short winter snooze, registration opened yesterday for the Bronze level 2021 WRS Online Series Event #2 – Drop & 45 event. Registration for that event will continue until the submission deadline on March 23 at 23:00 EDT. Be careful about waiting until the last second, as the upload link will close at the deadline: if you have not uploaded your video and placard, you may not be able to after the deadline.
The first CWSA Module Event is scheduled for April 9-11, 2021 and is a worldwide Gold Level World Series of Wake Surfing event. This event will count towards the event attendance requirement to qualify to be invited to the World Wake Surfing Championship this year.
What You Need to Know about Module Format Events:
The module format events combine the aspects of ‘Live’ competition – such as a start and end buoy, falls, two passes per run, and more than one run per event – with a video based worldwide competition in a World Series of Wake Surfing event. All module format events will count towards the event attendance requirement to possibly qualify to be invited to the World Wake Surfing Championship.
Unlike full on live events, do not count on Event Organizers, or the CWSA, to create a module competition opportunity for you. We provide the opportunity, the platform and infrastructure, if you want to compete you must be proactive.
The module event format is the opportunity for you, your club, your friends, and small groups to participate in a worldwide event even if COVID restrictions in your area limit travel and gathering size, in other words, prevent the execution of a classic live event.
The CWSA offers this opportunity for you, your friends, your school, or club to participate in these events. The CWSA relies on you, the member and other members in your area, to take steps to form a module in your location, so that you can compete.
The requirements for a module event are very minimal:
- Module venue must register on the CWSA website
- Module sanctioning cost $225
- All participating athletes must be CWSA athlete members in good standing
- No minimum or maximum athletes per module, can be 2 athletes, or 80+ athletes
- Sanctioning fee includes liability insurance for entities and venues, if available in Module venue country, and accidental injury insurance for CWSA member athletes
- Suitable Venue with a Course length 45 seconds @ 11.2 mph (18 km/h) plus start and end zones (900 feet / 270M), sufficient depth (15 feet / 4.5M)
- Tow boat and qualified tow boat pilot
- There is no limitation on the brand or model of towboat
- Buoys and related gear
- CWSA certified Module Head Judge, and Module Co Head Judge, if the Module Head Judge is a competitor in the event
- Video assistant
- GoPro 7 and later
- High speed internet connection to upload releases and videos post event
- Also recommended equipment and personnel
- Recovery/staging vessel(s), such as a jet ski
- Shore personnel
- Dock Starter/Registration personnel
- No need to worry about filling divisions, fielding judge teams, or the administrative burdens of a full-on live event.
The CWSA will:
- Conduct registration for the Module Format event
- Specify competition format for the event based on the event registration and create the Module Event Running Order.
- Coordinate and confirm athletes to attend each Module venue and provide list of same to each Module Head Judge
- Provide event releases to each Module Head Judge
- Provide event placards in pdf format to each Module Head Judge
- Render and post all videos from each Module venue
- Provide judge teams to judge each division in the event
- Provide judged results for the event
- Provide all Awards for each judged Division in the event, including Pro cash purse
- Rank all competitors in the WRS for the event
- Support Module Head Judges for technical and other issues
If you, your school, your club, or group of friends and acquaintances want to form a module, registration to host a module is now available on the CWSA website under ‘Application’ ‘Module Event’. The application to host a module is separate from the athlete registration for the event.
To be authorized as a module in a module format event, a qualified Module Head Judge is required.
For that reason, to train judges for live events, and for new athletes wanting to know about judging, and how events work, and wake surfing overall, the CWSA continues to offer judge training in an online and interactive format. A full schedule of the seminars offered for March is now available on the CWSA website under ‘Registrations’ ‘Judge Seminars’.
Here’s the full Judge Training Seminar schedule for March:
- Online Basic Judge Seminar – March 5, 2021 @ 8:00 PM EST (6-7 hours) 3/5/2021
- Online Basic Judge Seminar – March 6, 2021 @ 2:00 PM EST (6-7 hours) 3/6/2021
- Online Basic Judge Seminar – March 7, 2021 @ 12:00 PM EST (6-7 hours) 3/7/2021
- Online Module Head Judge Seminar – March 12, 2021 @ 8:00 PM EST (2-3 hours) Pre-requisite: Basic Judge Training Seminar 3/12/2021
- Online Basic Judge Seminar – March 13, 2021 @ 2:00 PM EST (6-7 hours) 3/13/2021
- Online Module Head Judge Seminar – March 14, 2021 @ 12:00 PM EDT (2-3 hours) Pre-requisite: Basic Judge Training Seminar 3/14/2021
- Online Basic Judge Seminar – March 19, 2021 @ 8:00 PM EST (6-7 hours) 3/19/2021
- Online Basic Judge Seminar – March 20, 2021 @ 12:00 PM EDT (6-7 hours) 3/20/2021
- Online Module Head Judge Seminar – March 21, 2021 @ 2:00 PM EDT (2-3 hours) Pre-requisite: Basic Judge Training Seminar 3/21/2021
- Online Module Head Judge Seminar – March 26, 2021 @ 8:00 PM EDT (2-3 hours) Pre-requisite: Basic Judge Training Seminar 3/26/2021
- Online Head Judge Seminar (Live Events) – March 27, 2021 @ 12:00 PM EDT (6-7 hours) Pre-requisite: Basic Judge Training Seminar 3/27/2021
- Online Module Head Judge Seminar – March 28, 2021 @ 2:00 PM EDT (2-3 hours) Pre-requisite: Basic Judge Training Seminar 3/28/2021
Register for a judge training seminar today by clicking the link below.
P.S. Are you interested in competing in the 2021 season? Make sure you upgrade your membership to an annual or single event athlete account to be eligible for competition!
Your membership will be good through the 2021 World Wake Surfing Championship, which is the last event of the 2021 competitive season.
Simply hit the ‘Upgrade Your Account’ tab in your profile to pay for a new membership and update your profile through the current season.
Login by clicking the link below.
Don’t already have an account? Sign up by clicking the link below.